This was an interesting day because it started at 0330. We had a 5 mile ruck march scheduled for a 4am step-off time. This ruck march had to be done in 2 hours (no faster/no slower) and had to be tactical. That makes this an extremely grueling ruck march because it is so slow! I have found over time that fast ruck marches hurt much less than slow ones because you generally take more steps in slow ones and each step hurts. We were doing the march with 35lb rucks which is standard for all cross gender training courses in the Army. I however, in preparation for Air Assault school, rucked with a 55lb ruck. I also was priveledged to be the one that set the pace for the march.
Once the ruck march was done, we did more reflexive firing drills and Advanced Rifle Marksmanship drills. I am starting to believe that reflexive firing and ARM are the real basis of this course, I guess I will find out next week. After ARM, we began prepping for room clearing and Urban Combat. In today’s battlefield, the most dangerous aspect of the battlefield is urban combat. It is highly dangerous because the enemy has many avenues of approach, many places to hide, and many casualty causing agents that can be used in buildings. All in all, this was a very simple day, and a simple week, except for the news of my grandfather’s passing.

No comments:
Post a Comment