Ok, I am not sure what Oklahoma did to piss off the sun, but the sun is REALLY mad. This is literally the hottest weather I have ever had to endure. I mean, I have been in Arizona in June/July, Vegas three weeks ago, Okinawa, Japan in summer and I have never felt anything like this before. We were out at the Basic Rifle Marksmanship (BRM) range conducting grouping and zeroing. The premise of the operation is simple, get 6 consecutive shots into a 4 CM circle to group and get 5 out 6 in a 4 CM, centered box to zero. Well no matter how simple it is, people are destined to have some trouble, which happened today. Some people took the better portion of the day (till 3:30 PM) to group and zero. Its OK, I love em anyway. We also had PT this morning like usual at 6. We had a 2 mile litter carry where we had to carry "injured" soldiers on a litter (envision a very flat cot) for 2 miles. It was a pretty good workout.
But back to this heat. We got to the range at about 9:30. By 10:30 we had our first heat casualty. At about 11:00am it was 97 degrees. Plus, were were wearing MOLLE gear (look it up, its cool stuff) Interceptor Body Armor (IBA- Adds at least 10-15lbs and about 5 degrees of heat) and wearing our Kevlar helmets. It was just damn hot. There are Sergeants/Instructors here that have deployed to Iraq when it was 130 degrees in the desert and they say this is worse. The humidity puts Fort Sill in a heat league of its own.
Oh, and carrying a rucksack, wearing the IBA, Kevlar and MOLLE gear reaffirmed that my ribs are not anywhere close to healed. Everytime I moved with that gear on, I wanted to scream. But anyway, enough whining for me, remember, ITS ALMOST FRIDAY!!!! (Thats what I tell myself to stay motivated even though the week just started) Good times ladies and gentleman, good times.
About Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment